Do you have questions about implementing EOS (the Entrepreneurial Operating System) in your business? Here's some real answers directly from experienced EOS Implementers.
Why does my company need an operating system?
Let’s face facts. Every business has an "operating system". In many small companies, the entrepreneur or owner or president runs everything with a tight control. The business lives or dies based on the owner’s individual ability to run everything. The owner or CEO is immersed in the daily grind of the business - in operations, processes, managing people, finance, and about 99 other daily issues that come up. And that’s OK if you run a small shop with a few employees, or you want to run a lifestyle business.
Once a company grows beyond 10 employees, the need for a true operating system becomes apparent, as doing it all yourself and holding it together becomes increasingly difficult. An effective operating system will help you define your vision, including your core values and focus, your long term plans and goals, and your strategy. The system will most importantly determine the right people, who are in the right seats. The system will simplify your processes, determine your key metrics, create an environment where issues are addressed and solved weekly, and everyone in the organization has a strong sense of accountability towards the shared vision. A great operating system helps the business run without the owner.
What are some excellent business operating systems?
More and more, businesses are borrowing methodologies from books like E-Myth®, 4 Disciplines of Execution®, Mastering the Rockefeller Habits®, and Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business® (Traction is the book that uses EOS ®, the entrepreneurial operating system ®). Honestly, there’s some very strong similarities between each of these. Why? Because they are timeless, proven methods to dramatically improve a business.
What is EOS ®?
EOS ® stands for the Entrepreneurial Operating System ®, developed by best selling author and business guru Gino Wickman. Wickman describes EOS ® as a “set of timeless business principles and real-world tools that help entrepreneurs get what they want from their businesses.”
By mastering this simple “way of operating,” leadership teams of growth-oriented companies systematically and progressively improve. The EOS ® process'simple tools have been used over 40,000 times in the past fifteen years or so. If implemented correctly and consistently, companies will achieve more growth and profit, all the while delivering a better life balance to company owners and leaders.
Can EOS ® Give My Business Traction?
A great question. Identifying whether EOS ® is right for your business involves a few inexpensive steps:
- Read the first few chapters of Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business. For free, you can download the first chapter here. If you want to read more, buy the whole book - it's worth it!
- Ask us to email you an Organizational Checkup, an easy three minute self-test to gauge your organization's strengths and weaknesses.
- Schedule a 15 minute phone call to chat with us about it. A phone conversation is free, and you might decide to invite one of us in to talk with you or your leadership team. That’s also free. We'll even give you a set of the tools. A quick note: even though these conversations are free, please know that our intent is not to use this time to sell you on us. Sometimes, the timing is wrong or the fit isn't there.
The rest is just implementation. There is nothing more to buy.
Why should my company use EOS ® over other systems?
These are all excellent systems, and all have proven their worth. We ought to know - at separate times, our businesses have implemented The E Myth ®, the Rockefeller Habits ® and the EOS ® models.
EOS ® simply stuck with us because it took the best parts from the others, is simple to follow, and infused our team with a real sense of accountability that some of the others didn’t seem to have.
Is EOS ® a new concept?
No. The EOS ® process as its own has been implemented in tens of thousands of small companies over the past fifteen years or so. The main and fair criticism of EOS ® is this: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business repackages concepts that have been around for decades. In fact, the author Gino Wickman readily admits the influences of other systems. Additionally, he tells of borrowing many concepts from Jim Collins (author of bestsellers Good to Great and Built to Last), and Patrick Lencioni (author of The Five Dysfunctions of a Team).
Having said that...here’s how it’s different: Traction has presented these proven concepts in a way that is simpler for smaller companies to understand and apply. So while other systems are more complex, Traction’s simplicity is an important reason in the explosion of companies adopting EOS ®.
How much does EOS ® cost to implement?
Here’s a few options:
- You can buy the book: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business, then try to implement it yourself. It’s a good read if you have the time. One caution: it’s a lot of trial and error on your company and leadership team’s dime, but you may be a very fast learner and have the extra time to do it yourself.
- You can hire a coach to help you implement EOS ®. The EOS ® model works in that you should typically see an implementer no more than 5-7 days a year.Hire an EOS ® implementer in one of two ways:
- Hire a "Certified" or "Professional" EOS Implementer TM: Professional EOS implementersTM begin by taking a two day class, then start to implement EOS ® with their clients. They are allowed to keep their designation by meeting and collaborating with other implementers physically 2 to 4 times a year, and on regular conference calls. They also should meet minimum pricing, client rating averages, and maintaining a minimum number of clients. To become Certified, the additional requirements include implementing EOS with at least 10 clients (and 48 sessions a year), even more interaction with their peers, a higher session rating, and of course will command higher fees. Both types of implementers are located all around the United States and even the world. Expect to pay upwards of $7,000 a day for their services, plus travel in most cases. If you want to read this distinction at EOS Worldwide's website, go here.
- Hire a very experienced but not officially certified EOS ImplementerTM: Look for someone who has themselves learned EOS ®, implemented EOS ® successfully in their own business, is a member of the EOS Implementer Base CampTM, and has helped hundreds of leaders to implement EOS ® successfully. These coaches literally work from the same guidebook that the Certified EOS ImplementersTM do. Choosing this option can be significantly less expensive than option A. We happen to fit this category, and our EOS ® sessions are guaranteed.In either case, you'll need to make sure that the Implementer is the right fit for your team. We recommend interviewing a few people. Contact us if you'd like to have a 15 minute conversation.
If I hire you as an EOS ® implementer, how long will you be in my business?
Typically, an EOS ® implementer keeps a client for two years. So in that time, you may see one of us for up to 12 total session days. Our job is to teach you the EOS® process, give you the practical tools you need to run the system, facilitate the sessions, help you to be accountable to your goals, your team and your priorities... and then get out of your way. And whenever you want to stop using us, there's no contract to break. We firmly believe that if we're not adding value to your company, then we're just adding cost.
Our goal is never to work ourself deeper into your company. In fact, our main goal is to work ourselves out of a job. If we wanted a job within your company, we'd have filled out an application.
Where can I learn more about EOS ®?
1. Buy the book: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business.
2. Go to www.eosworldwide.com and learn more about EOS ®.
3. Contact us to schedule a quick 15-30 minute conversation with one of our EOS ® implementers. We’ll be glad to talk with you about your specific situation. Maybe there's a fit for EOS ® and maybe there isn't. If you decide that it makes sense to invite us into a deeper 90 Minute Meeting with your leadership team, we can schedule that, too.
We're not always a fit for everyone we talk to, and it doesn’t hurt our feelings if you choose a different option. We're just here to help.