EOS® AS A SYSTEM
Q: WHY DOES MY COMPANY NEED AN OPERATING SYSTEM?
Once a company grows beyond 10 employees, the need for a true operating system becomes apparent, as doing it all yourself and holding it together becomes increasingly difficult. An effective operating system will help you define your vision, including your core values and focus, your long term plans and goals, and your strategy. The system will most importantly determine the right people, who are in the right seats. The system will simplify your processes, determine your key metrics, create an environment where issues are addressed and solved weekly, and everyone in the organization has a strong sense of accountability towards the shared vision. A great operating system helps the business run without the owner.
Q: WHAT ARE SOME EXCELLENT BUSINESS OPERATING SYSTEMS?
Q: WHAT IS EOS®?
By mastering this simple “way of operating,” leadership teams of growth-oriented companies systematically and progressively improve. EOS® includes tools that have been used over 40,000 times in the past fifteen years or so. If implemented correctly and consistently, companies will achieve more growth and profit, all the while delivering a better life balance to company owners and leaders.
Q: CAN EOS® GIVE MY BUSINESS “TRACTION”?
That’s a great question, and the answer is “it depends”. Identifying whether EOS® is right for your business involves a few inexpensive steps:
- Read the first few chapters of Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business. For free, you can download the first chapter here. If you want to read more, buy the whole book from us at a 50% discount – it’s worth it!
- Take the Organizational Checkup™ at www.eosworldwide.com, an easy three minute self-test to gauge your organization’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Schedule a 15-30 minute phone call to chat with us about it. A phone conversation is free, and you might decide to invite one of us in to talk with you or your leadership team. That’s also free. We’ll even give you a set of the tools. A quick note: even though these conversations are free, please know that our intent is not to use this time to sell you on us. Sometimes, the timing is wrong or the fit isn’t there.
The rest is just implementation. There is nothing more to buy.
Q: WHY SHOULD MY COMPANY USE EOS® OVER OTHER SYSTEMS?
EOS® simply stuck with us because it took the best parts from the others, is simple to follow, and infused our team with a real sense of accountability that some of the others didn’t seem to have.
Q: IS EOS® A NEW CONCEPT?
Having said that…here’s how it’s different: Traction® has presented these proven concepts in a way that is simpler for smaller companies to understand and apply. So while other systems are more complex, EOS’ simplicity is an important reason in the explosion of companies adopting EOS®.
COMPANIES THAT IMPLEMENT EOS
Q: WHAT SIZE COMPANIES ARE BEST SUITED FOR IMPLEMENTING EOS?
Q: MY COMPANY IS A STARTUP. IS EOS RIGHT FOR MY TEAM?
Startups are busy figuring out everything. As described by the Harvard Business Review in the Five Stages of Small Business Growth, you are most likely in Stage 1 (the Creative stage) or maybe Stage 2 (the Survival stage). You’re setting up operations, testing what works with the product or service, trying everything in marketing and branding, figuring out pricing models. Meanwhile you’re doing it all on a shoestring budget while also spending 60-70 hours a week running from role to role (or attempting to multitask) as you try to afford more staff. It’s an exciting time. But time is not what you have and you probably don’t have a ‘leadership team” structure yet.
EOS is meant for late Stage 2 (now ready to move to Stage 3), and Stage 3 companies (Success stage). These are companies who have ‘survived’ but now have hit a plateau of some kind (or have been in a decline after past successes).
If you are Stage 2 or higher and are considering implementing EOS, let’s schedule a call.
Q: WHAT ISSUES ARE COMPANIES EXPERIENCING THAT THEY SHOULD CONSIDER USING EOS?
- Having a vision that either isn’t shared, or worse, not being followed by the team. This is indicated but lack of trust, low morale, turnover, and ‘silos’ within the business.
- Being frustrated that the same issues keep coming up. They’re fighting fires over and over again, day after day.
- Generally “feeling stuck” in the daily grind. They rarely get a chance to work on (instead of in) the business and progress is incremental at best.
- Finally, we find that the main leaders are discouraged that the business, even if it is IS doing well outwardly, is making them a mess or unhappy. They just are getting tired of it.
Is your company experiencing similar issues? Consider scheduling a call.
Q: IF OUR COMPANY IMPLEMENTS EOS, WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN?
- A shared vision. It will be clear to the team what you want to be as a company and how to get there.
- The right people doing the right things in the right ways. This will show in higher morale, lower turnover, improved productivity, and dramatically improved efficiencies.
- An improved bottom line.
- The owner finally getting (and getting to do!) what they want.
Q: DO I NEED A LEADERSHIP TEAM TO EFFECTIVELY USE EOS?
Q: BUT WHAT IF I WANT TO GET THOSE ‘ASSISTANTS’ TO BECOME LEADERS?
FINDING AN EOS IMPLEMENTER
Q: HOW MUCH DOES EOS® COST TO IMPLEMENT?
(AKA: what is the investment needed to implement EOS ®?)
Here are a few options:
- Go it alone and do it yourself: You can buy the book: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business, then try to implement it yourself in order to save some money, The person who will run the meetings should know the book well, understand and be able to use the concepts, keep the team organized, facilitate the meeting, elicit honest and open responses, be able to guide to team to solve real issues and drive towards goals, and be able hold the team accountable to staying on track and getting things done. If you have all of that, one caution: you’d be ‘practicing’ on yourselves, and learning and facilitating the process while being a ‘part of it’ may be a lot of trial and error on your company and leadership team’s dime. Some do find success this way, although over 70% of our clients have attempted to ‘self-implement” EOS for up to two years before we were engaged to work with them. Yet, it is possible.
- Hire an EOS Implementer™ (a coach trained specifically to help you implement EOS®). According to EOS Worldwide, most companies who have successfully implemented EOS have had some help. These people are called EOS Implementers™. Hire an Implementer in one of two ways:
- Hire a “Certified” or “Professional” EOS Implementer™: Professional EOS implementers™ begin by attending a three day bootcamp, immediately getting a Professional designation, and then begin to implement EOS® with their clients. They are allowed to keep their designation by meeting and collaborating with other implementers physically 2 to 4 times a year, and on regular conference calls. They also should meet minimum pricing, client rating averages, and maintaining a minimum number of clients. To become Certified, additional requirements include implementing EOS with at least 10 clients (and 48 sessions a year), have even more interaction with their peers, garner a higher session rating, and of course must command higher fees. Both types of implementers are located all around the United States and even the world. Expect to pay upwards of $3500 per day for new Professionals and over $7,000 a day for experienced Certified implementers – plus travel in most cases. If you want to read this distinction at EOS Worldwide’s website, go here.
- Hire a very experienced but not “Certified” EOS Implementer™: Look for someone who has themselves learned EOS®, implemented EOS® successfully in their own business, is a member of the EOS Implementer Base Camp™, and has a track record of helping hundreds of leaders to implement EOS® successfully. These coaches literally work from the same guidebook that the Certified EOS Implementers™ do. Choosing this option may be significantly less expensive than option 1. We happen to fit this category, and our EOS® sessions are guaranteed.
In either case, sure that the Implementer is the right fit for your team, and don’t let pricing or level of certification be your only point of decision. Consider interviewing a few implementers.
Contact us if you’d like to have a 15 minute conversation.
Q: IF I HIRE AN EOS IMPLEMENTER™, HOW LONG ARE THEY WORKING WITH MY BUSINESS?
Our goal is never to work ourself deeper into your company. In fact, our main goal is to work ourselves out of a job. If we wanted a job within your company, we’d have filled out an application.
Q: CAN WE KEEP THE IMPLEMENTER ON AS A FACILITATOR PAST TWO YEARS?
Q: DOES THE IMPLEMENTER NEED TO BE BASED LOCALLY NEAR MY COMPANY?
Of course, the benefit of hiring a local implementer is the lack of travel fees, so you may factor that into the equation.
For us, while we are based in New York State, and while we’ve travelled all across the United States to help clients, our preference is to serve clients on the eastern half of the United States, and the East Coast (Maine to Florida). Flights are shorter and cheap!
Talk with us about implementing EOS within your business.
Q: CAN I FIRE THE IMPLEMENTER IF HE OR SHE IS NOT A FIT FOR US?
Plus, we literally guarantee the sessions…even the one you may have just finished. See the guarantee here.
Q: DOES THE IMPLEMENTER NEED TO HAVE A BACKGROUND IN OUR INDUSTRY?
Having said that, we happen to have helped businesses across many industries, from service, to professional, to distribution, to manufacturing, health and wellness, insurance, software, and so many more. We’ve touched dozens of industries.
Q: WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO BE ABLE TO QUICKLY AND EFFECTIVELY ROLLOUT EOS INTO OUR COMPANY?
Q: DO WE NEED TO START THE PROCESS AT THE BEGINNING OF OUR FISCAL YEAR?
Considering getting started? Give us a shout.
Q: DO WE NEED TO HOLD SESSIONS OFFSITE OR CAN WE MEET AT OUR OFFICES?
Q: CAN WE MEET VIRTUALLY?
This is not recommended (at least during normal times – in a pandemic, it’s still important to meet, but virtually might be a requirement). While regular weekly virtual meetings are fine, meeting virtually is not conducive to a great full day meeting. EOS sessions are digital-free, you get to disengage from the day-to-day, and you are open and honest with each other while trying to develop and work together towards solving big challenges and moving towards your future goals. There are too many distractions while sitting in front of your computer. Don’t do it.
Q: FOR ANNUAL PLANNING, SHOULD WE MEET BEFORE THE END OF A YEAR FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR’S PLANNING, OR AFTER THE YEAR IS OVER?
Q: WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT EOS®?
- Read more about EOS (and implementing it) in a quick summary here.
- For free, download chapter one of the book Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business.
- If you want to continue to read it, either buy the book in any format here: Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business or buy one physical book from us at 50% off here,
- Contact us to schedule a quick 15-30 minute conversation with one of our EOS implementers™. We’ll be glad to talk with you about your specific situation. Maybe there’s a fit for EOS® – or maybe there isn’t. If you decide that it makes sense to invite us into a deeper 90 Minute Meeting with your leadership team, we can schedule that, too.
We’re not always a fit for everyone we talk to, and it doesn’t hurt our feelings if you choose a different option. We’re just here to help.
Wait, you've got more questions?
That’s OK, we can take them.